Amarok logo copied by another site

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Tue Sep 18 23:37:27 CEST 2007

On 9/18/07, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I've just stumbled upon this:
>
> http://www.swmirror.org/drupal/?q=node/73
>

> Which reminds me that we need to trademark our logo and name. It's the
> only way to prevent incidents like the above.

Actually I realized that he is violating the terms of the GPL that the
image is in-fact licensed under. By not attributing it and not carry
the GPL license statement along with redistribution, they might loose
all rights under the GPL.

However I'm going to keep it nice, I can bring this up if there's
problem and after reading the GPL more closely myself.

This was the message I sent them:
"The license of the GPL under which the Amarok icon is licensed under
does allow redistribution. However I respectively ask that you stop
using the Amarok icon on your website. We currently do not have a
trademark on the Amarok icon and name, but would like to have one in
the future; your use of the icon might make this difficult."

Ian