Conferences - was: Re: New collaborator presentation

Lydia Pintscher lydia.pintscher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 16:49:54 CET 2007

On Tue November 13 2007 15:27:53 Rodrigo Marques wrote:
> Hello Ian,
>
> You right there are some yearly medium size open sources conferences and a
> great international level open source conference, with participation of
> Richard Stallman (GNU) for example, and Linus Torvalds already attended
> sometimes. Maybe this is not much for Europe or US standards, but for South
> America is completely outstanding.
>
> Would be very great to put a feet in such events. I would like to know, in
> the experience of yours what structure is need for that. You said about
> need of others support, how many is needed?

Generally we try to get around 4 to 6 people for our booths at conferences. Of
course this depends on the size of the event and how much interest in Amarok
we generally expect.
But this are things we should discuss on IRC when there is such an event. We
can give you some tips.

> What kind of press releases do you distribute in such conferences? There is
> some kind of Live CDs with Amarok for distribution to users?

We generally don´t publish press releases for that. We post in our blogs
(planetkde.org), on amarok.kde.org and on dot.kde.org if needed.

A new LiveCD is being worked on. So far we have not given these away at
conferences. Maybe in the future.

So for your genral understanding of what we do there: ;-)
- show people how awesome Amarok is
- answer userquestions
- give talks
- meet other members of the team
- get in touch with other members of the open source community
- sell shirts

> The participation in those conferences has the purpose of increase the user
> base, or attracts more programmers/contributors (or both)?

both

> As you may know, Brazil is, together with India, one of the places where IT
> and open source is in greatest development. This means that there are a lot
> of potential to attract, with correct action, new programmers to project.
> What kinds of programmers are needed? C/C++ ultra experts only? Or academic
> experience is enough for some tasks?

Academic should be enough. One can always learn :)

> Sorry, I gave you a lot of questions, but I had a lot of doubts. :-P
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rodrigo Marques.

Cheers
Lydia