Conferences - was: Re: New collaborator presentation

Rodrigo Marques oritemis.frc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 15:27:53 CET 2007

Hello Ian,

You right there are some yearly medium size open sources conferences and a
great international level open source conference, with participation of
Richard Stallman (GNU) for example, and Linus Torvalds already attended
sometimes. Maybe this is not much for Europe or US standards, but for South
America is completely outstanding.

Would be very great to put a feet in such events. I would like to know, in
the experience of yours what structure is need for that. You said about need
of others support, how many is needed?

What kind of press releases do you distribute in such conferences? There is
some kind of Live CDs with Amarok for distribution to users?

The participation in those conferences has the purpose of increase the user
base, or attracts more programmers/contributors (or both)?

As you may know, Brazil is, together with India, one of the places where IT
and open source is in greatest development. This means that there are a lot
of potential to attract, with correct action, new programmers to project.
What kinds of programmers are needed? C/C++ ultra experts only? Or academic
experience is enough for some tasks?

Sorry, I gave you a lot of questions, but I had a lot of doubts. :-P

Best regards,

Rodrigo Marques.