[2.0 Marketing] Analysis

Samuel Baldwin shardz4217 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 22:06:11 CEST 2007

As far as breaking into the mac market, an obvious necessity would be really
good iPod support. I don't own an iPod, but everyone I know who owns one has
iTunes. Mac users unfortunately subscribe to the `really, really easy to
use' philosophy, and if syncing with an iPod is a hassle, we'll loose alot
of potential users.

Another tough aspect would be the iTunes store. I personally can't stand it,
but I know people who stopped buying albums because of it. (Also, something
we should really focus on as well is no-DRM ripping. [via cdparanoia support
in Amarok, or another program that will run on macs] I've seen people buy a
CD, then have to buy it on iTunes so they can have it on their iPod. This is
pure DRM evil.) Magnatunes is better, but iTunes wins for sheer volume of
bands/songs. One area we could shine is genre recognition. iTunes is hands
down the _worst_ media player for identifing the genre of a band, ever. We
should probably have it glean the info from freedb.freedb.org , which is the
defualt at the moment. However, wikipedia generally gets it right (since
anyone can fix it).

Also, all the plugins and themes help us beat the communist-type look of the
iTunes (I mean, everyone's iTunes looks nearly the same). And again, the
excellent plugins and lyrc fetcher.

Also, is it legal/possible to support mp3 out of the box on Amarok? I mean,
for most linux users, it's just a quick trip to the wiki and a package
manager, but I'm pretty sure Mac users will whine pretty fast if their mp3's
don't work. Hopping on an IRC or a wiki is NOT obvious to most of these
people. I mean, maybe a window that pops up and holds their hand might set
them on the right track..

Just my 0.02 USD,
--
Samuel (shardz)