If I don't get some help setting up an IDE that can debug Amarok soon I may just move on

Bernd Wechner bwechner at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 12:07:22 UTC 2016

Amarok development seems pretty dead to me. Not a single developer out
there who'd help a new guy set up an IDE that works. A single bug
blocking release since I stumbled in. Almost no traffic on the
development mailing list bar reminders of the blocking bug and
regression failures. Almost no traffic on the IRC channel.

I've sunk so much time into QtDesigner and Kdeveloper but am stuck
insurmountably to get either of these IDEs to work as a debugger the way
I have used Visual Studio and Eclipse for years.

It is simply hard for me to believe that anyone could be working on a
package like this without functional debugging and in spite of abundant
experience developing software in an abundance of contexts and with an
abundance of tools ranging for disassembled machine code, through C to
Perl and Python and more I have never felt so stupid and so isolated as
in my efforts to get a IDE working satisfactorily on such a wonderful
piece of software.

And so, regretfully, I will park the whole thing for a while and turn
back to other projects but if I don't find a simple mentor to help me
get an IDE working to debug Amarok I may well turn back to trying to
work on Banshee or Rhythmbox regretfully.

My achievements are not trivial and I've updated as best I can this page:

https://community.kde.org/Amarok/Development/Hacking_On_Amarok_HowTo

I can get the whole code, build it run it, edit it, work on it but I
can't do the one thing I would want to dive into and learn the innards
of a piece of software, debug it, namely set a breakpoint, hit it and
then look at things, see the stack trace, inspect the variables, walk
through code ... but I am confounded, the instant Amarok forks
breakpoints seem never to trigger.

Heck if Amarok is a dying project perhaps someone can motivate one of
the departing developers to mentor a newcomer, to get some docs like the
one above to a position where any half way experienced coder can walk in
and set themselves up and contribute, if only to keep it alive.

Sorry to express frustration thusly, but alas I really have let some
important stuff on my plate slide while stumbling around on this and
have to let it be for a bit. If I am back with a second wind, I may try
and approach the listed developer (About Amarok) one by one on my knees
asking for a mentor or help in motivating one ;-).

Regards,

Bernd.