Log files

Bernd Wechner bwechner at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 14 03:02:54 UTC 2016

Myriam,

Thanks for the tip. Handy indeed.

Alas not all that helpful in the end. Reasonn being:

1) Slight fix needed: amarok -d --nofork >& amarok.log, as the log goes
to stderr it seems.
2) It's very verbose and doesn't mirror the on-screen errors so hard to
home in on the issue.

Seems on the todo for Amarok would be ideally to mirror all on-screen
messages to a log file. But here is what I have learned and how I did.

How I learned:

1) I installed SimpleScreenRecorder and recorded the startup.
2) I installed avidemux and stepped through the recording frame by frame

What I learned:

1) These little messages actually have little vertical progress bar on
their left side which runs a timer down and the message disappears when
it expires.
2) Could be that the timer is a wee bit fast on account of rapid speed
increases in hardware since implementation? Either way, it would seem
configurable somehow.
3) All the messages ultimately could be traced to the scripts I had
installs:
     a) Cool Streams
     b) Free Music Charts
     c) Librivox
4) Disabled these and no more messages

Conclusion:

! Defunct scripts

Extra evidence:

1) When I disabled the scripts and closed the "Configure - Amarok"
dialog box, Amarok crashed.

I'd like to look more closely at the code at some time and will post
separately a question regarding the hows there.

Regards,

Bernd.