ampache server

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Mar 22 21:01:53 UTC 2015

El Divendres, 20 de març de 2015, a les 03:17:44, Myriam Schweingruber va
escriure:
> Hi Albert,

Hi

> putting the amarok-devel list in Cc, as this concerns Amarok as a whole...
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 1:39 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi Myriam, i've been told you may know who are the people using the
> > ampache
> > server KDE e.V. inherited from Amarok.
> >
> > That server is a private service that KDE e.V. has no business on running
> > so we want to contact those that use it to tell them they need to take
> > care of paying and running the server themselves, otherwise we will shut
> > it down.
> >
> > Do you happen to know who the people using it are?
>
> Really? A private service? I think you are rather misinformed, there,
> and could simply have asked Ben who knows what it is: it is a test
> instance we (The Amarok Team) need so we can test the Ampache service
> which is part of Amarok.

I talked with Ben before sending this email.

Yes, he mentioned he thought it was a test instance, he also said the logs
seem to show it is unused and as far as i understood it has multiple
user/login accounts, which could mean it was an [unused] private service.

Maybe i should have worded my email more as a "Can you confirm it's a private
service ...".

> AFAIK we are the only ones to use it, there
> is no public access (so no worries about copyright issues with the
> music), the music on it is not even up-to-date.

Having music with unclear copyright may not worry you, it does worry me a lot,
music companies don't seem to like it and I'm sure we both agree it wouldn't
be cool if the KDE eV would get sued because of it.

> So I really see no reason why you would shut it down as it a) doesn't
> take much space and b) it is after all on the server Amarok donated to
> KDE (including the rather big lump of money that came with it), and c)
> we need an Ampache server so we can test something, I am rather
> surprised you would want to shut it down...

I don't want to shut it down, I am acting at a request of sysadmin that raised
the issue of having files with unclear copyright in what seemed to be an
unused service, so the easiest route was just shutting it down (or passing
ownership to someone else).

> Amarok is part of KDE, and  my understanding is that we can use the
> KDE infrastructure to develop our software, and the Amapche server is
> part of that.I would find it rather sad if the eV board suddenly
> decides otherwise...

If an Ampache instance is needed to test Amarok, sysadmin has no objections
to us setting up a clean instance if need be, and loading a few
creative commons files into it for testing purposes, but we should not risk
ourselves to get sued for no reason.

So please can developers confirm it is needed?

Cheers,
  Albert