ampache server

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Fri Mar 20 02:17:44 UTC 2015

Hi Albert,

putting the amarok-devel list in Cc, as this concerns Amarok as a whole...

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 1:39 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi Myriam, i've been told you may know who are the people using the ampache
> server KDE e.V. inherited from Amarok.
>
> That server is a private service that KDE e.V. has no business on running so
> we want to contact those that use it to tell them they need to take care of
> paying and running the server themselves, otherwise we will shut it down.
>
> Do you happen to know who the people using it are?

Really? A private service? I think you are rather misinformed, there,
and could simply have asked Ben who knows what it is: it is a test
instance we (The Amarok Team) need so we can test the Ampache service
which is part of Amarok. AFAIK we are the only ones to use it, there
is no public access (so no worries about copyright issues with the
music), the music on it is not even up-to-date.
So I really see no reason why you would shut it down as it a) doesn't
take much space and b) it is after all on the server Amarok donated to
KDE (including the rather big lump of money that came with it), and c)
we need an Ampache server so we can test something, I am rather
surprised you would want to shut it down...

Amarok is part of KDE, and  my understanding is that we can use the
KDE infrastructure to develop our software, and the Amapche server is
part of that.I would find it rather sad if the eV board suddenly
decides otherwise...

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org