GSoC 2015 project: Qt5/kf5/Plasma5 port!

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Fri Feb 6 11:24:46 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I just added the Qt5/kf5/plasma5 port of Amarok as our GSoC project for
2015.

Since this is a rather big chunk involving a lot of code and a lot of
testing, I would love to see two developers mentoring this project, as
there will be a lot of reviews needed in a timely manner.

While making Amarok compile with Qt5 seems the easiest part, the port from
kdelibs4 to kf5 will involve a lot of changes.

>From my estimation the port of the plasma widgets to Plasma 5 will be a
very big chunk as well, so we should reduce this to just the most important
widgets, namely the "Current Track/Now playing", "Lyrics" and "Wikipedia".

Of course all the testing framework will also have to be adapted, another
big chunk.

Other aspects that need to be take into account is the visual aspect to
make sure we avoid graphical glitches from the start and stick to the
frameworks use.

On the positive side: some KDE code found its way into Qt5.

I was wondering to what extend this could be split into 2 or even more GSoC
projects, there certainly is enough work, but it would probably also make
several students depend on each other for the work.

Anyway: I think we have a lot of discussion to do for this before we event
start to accept submissions from students, as the project needs to be
shaped well to avoid work overload for everybody.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org
<http://www.fsfe.org>