Draft SoK Proposal

vedant agarwala vedant.kota at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 06:45:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 3:41 AM, Nitul Datt <nitul1991 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey!
>
> On 10/29/14, vedant agarwala <vedant.kota at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Then do that.
> >
> > When you post a draft proposal on the mailing list post the entire text
> as
> > plain text rather than a link to a doc. Easier to read and comment in
> line.
>
> This is a draft of my proposal to implement cue sheet support in
> Amarok. Suggestions are welcome, especially in the implementation and
> timeline sections.
>
> Introduction
> At present Amarok does not provide support for cue sheeted music in
> the collection. If implemented correctly, this feature would allow for
> the independent playback of individual songs stored in a single audio
> file.

Nice!

> Project Goals
> Provide support for cue sheeted music in collections, solving a number
> of bugs in the process.

List the bugs (maybe also with reference links)

> Implementation
> The amarokcollectionscanner utility must first search whether a given
> file has an associated cue sheet with the same name but .cue

grammar: s/but/with

> extension, failing which all cue files in the same directory must be
> checked for a matching FILE attribute.
> Individual tracks with all necessary metadata, must be created as per
> the directions in the cue sheeted file.

You mean a TrackPtr object? Try and put some source code from Amarok code
base. "created" how?

> To support the playback of a single track in such a file, I propose to
> use BoundedPlaybackCapability in the EngineController as each track in
> a cue sheeted file has a specific  start and end time within the file.
> A lot of existing code dealing with cue sheets may be reused, namely
> the CueFileSupport class.

You really need to expand on implementation details. For inspiration have a
look at some accepted GSoC proposals. (But do not spend much time on it)

> Timeline
> Nov 5th - Nov 15th
> I plan to go through the relevant parts of the codebase ie the
> collectionscanner, EngineController and also the existing cuesheet
> related classes.
> Nov 16th - Nov 22nd
> I plan to go through the implementation of cue sheet support in other
> qt based music players like qmmp and clementine.

Do not plan to "go through" code for such a long time. You will end up
going through a lot of code. Implement alongside "going through".

> Nov 23rd - Dec 1st
> I propose to make the necessary changes in the collectionscanner
> during this period.
> Dec 2nd - Dec 7th
> This period is meant as a buffer for any spillovers from the previous
> weeks.
> Dec 8th - Dec 15th
> I plan to implement the creation of tracks from the single cue sheet file.
> Dec 16th - Dec 26th
> During this period I shall be busy with my semester exams and will
> thus be confined to reviewing and testing my code.

you dont review your own code

> Dec 27th - Jan 7th
> During this period, I plan to implement the necessary changes to
> ensure the correct playback of individual tracks in the file.
> Jan 8th - Jan 16th
> I plan to test my changes and make sure the entire implementation is
> correct.
> Jan 17th - Jan 31st
> I plan to use the last 2 weeks to make any modifications as suggested
> by the community and review and document my code.

good timeline.

> I'm awaiting your response as I have to submit this by Oct 31, 12:00 am
> UTC.
>

> > Regards,
> > Vedant.
> >

> --
> Regards,
> Nitul Datt

Some more questions you (and me as well) need to answer:

* How will the tracks be grouped in the Amarok playlist and collections.
* seems like you are implementing only for SQL collection (as
collectionscanner runs only for it). -correct me if I am wrong. Is this
okay?

Regards,
Vedant.