Draft SoK Proposal

Nitul Datt nitul1991 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 22:11:51 UTC 2014

Hey!

On 10/29/14, vedant agarwala <vedant.kota at gmail.com> wrote:
> Then do that.
>
> When you post a draft proposal on the mailing list post the entire text as
> plain text rather than a link to a doc. Easier to read and comment in line.

This is a draft of my proposal to implement cue sheet support in
Amarok. Suggestions are welcome, especially in the implementation and
timeline sections.

Introduction
At present Amarok does not provide support for cue sheeted music in
the collection. If implemented correctly, this feature would allow for
the independent playback of individual songs stored in a single audio
file.

Project Goals
Provide support for cue sheeted music in collections, solving a number
of bugs in the process.

Implementation
The amarokcollectionscanner utility must first search whether a given
file has an associated cue sheet with the same name but .cue
extension, failing which all cue files in the same directory must be
checked for a matching FILE attribute.
Individual tracks with all necessary metadata, must be created as per
the directions in the cue sheeted file.
To support the playback of a single track in such a file, I propose to
use BoundedPlaybackCapability in the EngineController as each track in
a cue sheeted file has a specific  start and end time within the file.
A lot of existing code dealing with cue sheets may be reused, namely
the CueFileSupport class.

Timeline
Nov 5th - Nov 15th
I plan to go through the relevant parts of the codebase ie the
collectionscanner, EngineController and also the existing cuesheet
related classes.
Nov 16th - Nov 22nd
I plan to go through the implementation of cue sheet support in other
qt based music players like qmmp and clementine.
Nov 23rd - Dec 1st
I propose to make the necessary changes in the collectionscanner
during this period.
Dec 2nd - Dec 7th
This period is meant as a buffer for any spillovers from the previous weeks.
Dec 8th - Dec 15th
I plan to implement the creation of tracks from the single cue sheet file.
Dec 16th - Dec 26th
During this period I shall be busy with my semester exams and will
thus be confined to reviewing and testing my code.
Dec 27th - Jan 7th
During this period, I plan to implement the necessary changes to
ensure the correct playback of individual tracks in the file.
Jan 8th - Jan 16th
I plan to test my changes and make sure the entire implementation is correct.
Jan 17th - Jan 31st
I plan to use the last 2 weeks to make any modifications as suggested
by the community and review and document my code.

I'm awaiting your response as I have to submit this by Oct 31, 12:00 am UTC.

--
Regards,
Nitul Datt