GSoC Idea: better lyrics display and fetching

vedant agarwala vedant.kota at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 10:09:33 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

I have a GSoC Idea. Please let us know what you think and whether it will
be a nice feature. :

Brief explanation: Amarok's support for fetching and displaying of lyrics
is very limited. It just fetches from a single provider and many times no
results are fetched, sometimes due to minor errors in track/album/artist
name. I want to add some more providers of online lyrics databases. If no
results are found I can couple this the better tagguessing feature (and
even if the tags are not saved), the the lyrics providers can be searched
with these guessed tags.
Then, I want to better the lyrics display. Currently it just scrolls at a
constant rate, generally that's inconsistent with the actual playback of
the song. All .lrc files have timestamps, that can be followed: probably by
highlighting the line playing. Also, karaoke support can be added, if the
.lrc file permits.

Expected results: Greatly increase the probability of fetching of the
lyrics for any song. In the lyrics display, a highlighted line will display
the current line being played. If time permits, add karaoke support.

Knowledge Prerequisite: Knowledge of the Amarok code base (hence of Qt,
C++). Basic knowledge of webservices.

Mentor: I want to take part in GSoC as a student so I won't be mentoring,
but probably Mark Kretschmann (markey) would be interested as I remember
discussing this idea with him for Season of KDE 2013. Also, it would be
wonderful if anyone else would volunteer to mentor :)

Regards,
Vedant