Tagguessing: SoK project proposal

vedant agarwala vedant.kota at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 07:52:25 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM,  <stefan at derkits.at> wrote:
> Hello Vedant,
>

>> For the LastFmFingerprintProvider we will first have
>> to generate a “fingerprint” of the track using the Last Fm
>> Fingerprinter.
>

> did you look at this Fingerprinter? If yes, you must know that it needs a
> FingerprintableSource, which atm are only sources for individual codec
types
> (seperate sources for mp3, ogg & mp4).

I didn't look into it very deeply because I found these libraries as part
of the official lastfm:
Fingerprinter: https://github.com/lastfm/Fingerprinter
liblastfm: https://github.com/lastfm/liblastfm

But now that you have pointed it out, the "Fingerprinter" requires raw
audio data.

> I think in their Desktop Application they also have one based on libavcode
> available, but of course the BEST one would be such a
FingerprintableSource
> based on Phonon, using Phonon Data Output (not sure if it is already
usable
> in Phonon VLC or only in Phonon GStreamer)
>
> Why? Because then we can be sure that we can fingerprint everything we can
> play. Unfortunatly a PhononSource doesn't exist yet.
>
> So if you implement this, either use the one based on libavcodec for the
> moment or try to create/find someone to create such a PhononSource.

Even if I found someone to create such a PhononSource, will it be a good
idea since it might not be maintained actively later on.