A plea extragear package maintainers: minor releases for localization updates

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon May 20 14:05:01 UTC 2013

El Dilluns, 20 de maig de 2013, a les 15:57:03, Matěj Laitl va escriure:
> On 18. 5. 2013 R33D3M33R wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > our localization team has been pretty busy with translating extragear
> > and updating existing translations. Since there are some extragear
> > programs that aren't released regularly, I have contacted the Debian
> > maintainers to ask them how to get these updated translations into the
> > next release and they suggested me, I should contact the maintainers
> > first.
> >
> > Maintainers of extragear: I hope at least some of you read this list and
> > I would kindly ask everyone to release a minor version with updated
> > translations from time to time. It doesn't has to be weekly or monthly,
> > a minor update every big kde release would be perfect (if there are
> > translation changes ofcourse). I'm sure not only our translations were
> > updated since the last release, but also other languages have been
> > updated and added. This would save a lot of time for translators and
> > distro maintainers and end users would be happier, since they would use
> > improved/new translations.
>
> Hi,
> speaking on behalf of the Amarok team, we certainly could release more minor
> versions. That would however mean that we'd need to introduce a notion of a
> stable branch that would be used to translate minor releases in addition to
> translating master. So this is much more a question to language teams:
>
> Would you mind a bit extra work of maintaining 2 (trunk and stable)
> translations for Amarok (as it is done for main KDE components)? Methods
> like summit translation help with this.
>
> If the language teams and other Amarok devs agree, we can set this up
> starting with 2.8 release. Note that we probably wouldn't stick with
> 1/month releases, but rather something like 2 minor releases between major
> ones (the frequency of major ones is approx 2/year).
>
> @Albert, how is setting up stable translation branches done? Is there a file
> in SVN where I could say "Amarok stable is git branch v2.7.x"?

Yes, there's two things, one in projects.kde.org reposiroty settings and
another in stable/branches/l10n-kde4/scripts/get_paths

The second is the one that wins, but if you change the first, someone will
read scripty logs complaining and will update the second.

Cheers,
  Albert