A plea extragear package maintainers: minor releases for localization updates

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Mon May 20 13:57:03 UTC 2013

On 18. 5. 2013 R33D3M33R wrote:
> Hello,
>
> our localization team has been pretty busy with translating extragear
> and updating existing translations. Since there are some extragear
> programs that aren't released regularly, I have contacted the Debian
> maintainers to ask them how to get these updated translations into the
> next release and they suggested me, I should contact the maintainers first.
>
> Maintainers of extragear: I hope at least some of you read this list and
> I would kindly ask everyone to release a minor version with updated
> translations from time to time. It doesn't has to be weekly or monthly,
> a minor update every big kde release would be perfect (if there are
> translation changes ofcourse). I'm sure not only our translations were
> updated since the last release, but also other languages have been
> updated and added. This would save a lot of time for translators and
> distro maintainers and end users would be happier, since they would use
> improved/new translations.

Hi,
speaking on behalf of the Amarok team, we certainly could release more minor
versions. That would however mean that we'd need to introduce a notion of a
stable branch that would be used to translate minor releases in addition to
translating master. So this is much more a question to language teams:

Would you mind a bit extra work of maintaining 2 (trunk and stable)
translations for Amarok (as it is done for main KDE components)? Methods like
summit translation help with this.

If the language teams and other Amarok devs agree, we can set this up starting
with 2.8 release. Note that we probably wouldn't stick with 1/month releases,
but rather something like 2 minor releases between major ones (the frequency
of major ones is approx 2/year).

@Albert, how is setting up stable translation branches done? Is there a file in
SVN where I could say "Amarok stable is git branch v2.7.x"?

P.S: We have already released Amarok 2.7.1, but we have used the same set of
translations as for 2.7.0, as stable translation branch for Amarok doesn't
currently exist and master contained a lot of changed strings.

	Matěj