[amarok] /: Make playlist-related actions consistent throughout Amarok code (behaviour change)

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Thu Jun 27 09:52:06 UTC 2013

On 27. 6. 2013 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Matěj Laitl <matej at laitl.cz> wrote:
> > Options for the "activate" (double or single click, per configuration,
> > if we so choose) action; feel free to suggest more:
> >
> > a) append track to playlist and start playing perhaps a different
> > (depends on other factors) track in the playlist, if not already
> > playing. The old behaviour.
>
> That was not the "old" behavior, the old behavior was double-click
> appends to playlist. There never was an immediate start of a track
> playing on double-click.

In fact, there was. Steps to reproduce:
 1. git checkout de62cfb920d05f          # the one before my commit
 2. build / run, ensure it is not playing on startup
 3. double-click on any artist in your collection; playback starts

But this doesn't matter at all for the current situation, I just think this
may be the root of the misunderstanding here.

> So -1 on that, as it was never working like that.

-1 from me too, this (IMO unfortunate) behaviour was in fact the trigger for
me to have a look at it. I thought you wanted to revert to exactly this
behaviour (by saying "keep the old behaviour"), and I thought Markey insisted
on starting playback on double-click.

> > b) just append to playlist.
>
> +1

This is fine with me and I didn't know this is fine with you. That's why I'm
suggesting there has been a terrible misunderstanding.

> > c) insert after currently playing, play the track(s) immediately. The
> > new
> > and controversial behaviour.
>
> -2, it really is annoying on more than one point, not only does it add
> the track, but it adds it after the current track and starts playing,
> and it even adds queue markers, very disturbing. This makes an easy
> append to playlist action impossible, I have been swearing a hundred
> times abut this behavior since the change.

Understandable that you don't want to change your habits. I'm still +1 on this
but I'm fine to be outweighed on this matter.

> Leave the double-click as it was, at least it doesn't disturb the way
> hundreds of users are used to.

^^^ This was the source of my prolonged confusion.

Regards,
	Matěj