[amarok] src/browsers: Collection Browser: revert to showing Various Artists even under Artist level [RFC]

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Thu Jun 27 09:47:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Matěj Laitl <matej at laitl.cz> wrote:
> Git commit c336d3777393a177c340f487d14508a6788e519a by Matěj Laitl.
> Committed on 26/06/2013 at 19:54.
> Pushed by laitl into branch 'master'.
>
> Collection Browser: revert to showing Various Artists even under Artist level [RFC]
>
> I don't like this, because it is illogical and shows some of your tracks twice:
> http://picpaste.com/amarok-artist-level-shows-track-twice.png
>
> ...but the previous change alone was too disruptive for our users.
>
> I suggest the following:
>  a) show showing "Various Artists" under "Artist" level and therefore
>     stop showing some tracks twice. Show "Various Artists" only under the
>     "Album Artist" level where it logically belongs

I guess you mean "Stop showing", right? I slept over it and can live with that

>  b) tweak the default presets to use "Album Artist" where they previously
>     used "Arist", except for "Album / Artist" where it doesn't make sense
>  c) (optional) adapt user configs treat "artist" as "album artist" for
>     users migrating from older Amarok releases
>  d) (optional) rename "Artist" level to "Track Artist" make the
>     distinction more clear

Good idea!

>  e) (optional) find better icon for "Album Artist" items/use "Artist"
>     icon, Sentynel finds the current one way too fugly

So do I, please use the same icon as the other views, this one looks
like a police officer and really looks ugly.

> ^^^ I think that the points above combined would mean nearly no
> disruption in user experience and would make the interface more logical
> and correct.
>
> What do you think? Do you have some objections?

We will need to add those changes in the release notes specifically,
as the users need to be made aware of that change. And there has to be
a lot of updates in the handbook as well, I will need help on that
one, I will not be able to handle all by myself.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org