Propose: Change behaviour that 'Amarok guesses Album from Filepath if no album-tag is set"

Mathias Dietrich dietrichmathias at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 09:44:12 UTC 2013

Am Montag, 22. Juli 2013, 11:18:39 schrieb Matěj Laitl:
> On 22. 7. 2013 Mathias Dietrich wrote:
> > although it did not work in Amarok 2.7.1 and before, we now have the
> > following behavior in Amarok-git, which is according to Matěj no bug and
> > wanted:
> >
> > 1. Collect multiple songs in one folder
> > 2. Ensure that the songs have no album-tag
> > 3. Start Amarok and import the collection
> >
> > Result:
> >
> > Although I specifically removed the album-tag from my files,
>
> There is an important question: if you removed the album tag from the files
> and the heuristics, under which album do you want Amarok to show the tracks
> in Collection Browser? Because if we simply removed the heuristics and did
> nothing else, it would AFAICS show under "Unknown Album". Is that really
> what you want?

That's the behavior in 2.7.1. before and that's also the behavior I wanted
because I removed the album-tag on purpose.

> I'm -0.25 for removing the feature completely, because I still think it
> serves well for users that don't even know that their tracks actually don't
> have album set. 2. might not be a bad option. It also could be technically
> possible to differentiate between empty album tag and no album tag, but
> that may seem convoluted to the users.

We just need an option to store multiple single tracks without album-tag
within one folder, without guessing something.

There was no such album guessing in Amarok 1.4. and in Amarok 2.7.1 and
before.

Another possible solution would an option to deactivate the guessing, within
Amaroks options. because it breaks this use-case.