Failed to create secure directory (/run/user/1000/pulse): Permission denied, external mysql difficulties

Edward Toroshchin edward.hades at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 12:49:22 UTC 2013

Hi Alan,

Thanks for helping us fix bugs! We always appreciate the effort.

Let me try to help you resolve your problems.

On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 12:51:46PM -0800, Alan Ezust wrote:
> Failed to create secure directory (/run/user/1000/pulse): Permission denied

I believe your 'kde' user does not have the appropriate permissions. Try
running these commands:

 id kde
 id <your username>

This will show you, to which groups you and the 'kde' user belong. Most
probably you will have to add your 'kde' user to one of the groups your
user belongs to, most probably 'pulseaudio' or 'audio'.

You may also refer to Ubuntu documentation regarding audio subsystem
troubleshooting.

> What did I do wrong? How does one copy an existing external amarok mysql
> database and use that instead of the original?

I think mysql does not recognize the new database if you simply copy the
old one.

I would personally try to duplicate the database by dumping the old one
and recreating the new from the dump. Something along the lines of:

    # rm -rf /var/lib/mysql/amarok3
    # mysqladmin create amarok3
    # mysqldump amarok | mysql -b amarok3

(you might need to provide the mysql login credentials to the mysql*
commands with appropriate -u and -p options)

I hope this helps and we're looking forward to your contributions.

Cheers,
--
Edward "Hades" Toroshchin
dr_lepper on irc.freenode.org