Sync Amarok wiki documentation to git before 2.8?

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Wed Aug 14 11:51:57 UTC 2013

On 13. 8. 2013 Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
> написане Tue, 13 Aug 2013 19:08:48 +0300, Matěj Laitl <matej at laitl.cz>:
> > Hi Yuri,
> > I'm really close to tagging Amarok 2.8 final. The last thing in my
> > checklist is
> > Amarok Handbook: do you think that syncing the in-progress wiki docs to
> > git
> > before release is a good idea? (Myriam already said it is okay with her)
> >
> > The thing it that I think that shipping in-progress 2.8 (english)
> > documentation is better than shipping outdated 2.7 one, if we are able
> > not to
> > disrupt handbook translations. Note that I can specify a SVN revision to
> > checkout (doc) translations from when creating the tarball.
> >
> > On a related note: do you know what is the status of wiki vs. SVN
> > handbook
> > translations? E.g. I see both
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/pt-br and
> > http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kde4/pt_BR/docs/extragear-multimedia/amar
> > ok/index.docbook?view=markup
>
> Just a quick explanation from my side:
>
> 1. Updating docs in git repo is a relatively simple operation (~10 mins
> because of the traffic for images and conversion of images operations).
> You can do it by yourself if you do not want me here.

Yes I know, thanks for documenting the process earlier. Still I feel more
comfortable with you doing it as it seems that you've done some wiki tweaks
before that wouldn't occur to me.

> 2. There are 7 complete translations in SVN (and 1-2 translations of 2.5
> that are not very outdated):
>
> http://l10n.kde.org/stats/doc/trunk-kde4/po/amarok.po/
>
> There are about 1 or 2 mostly complete translations without localized
> screenshots in wiki (Danish and Brazilian Portuguese).
>
> 3. André Marcelo Alvarenga (Brazilian Portuguese) is trying to sync his
> translations. I'm (Ukrainian) not trying to do so. That's our choice.
>
> 4. I'm not happy with the current spare workflow with no time for
> translation at all. However, I'm almost sure that if you give just one day
> for SVN translators you will have at least 3 ready to use and updated
> translations of the handbook in packages. That's because offline tools are
> drastically more effective than online now.

I'm not happy with it either and thought that wiki handbooks could make it
better, but I see that not (yet). The best would of course be to have the
English handbook ready by the time beta is released (or shortly afterwards),
but being realistic I don't think this is going to happen with current
available documentation (wo)manpower (Myriam already has lots of things on her
shoulders).

> So, what should I do?
>
> 1. Send you a link to PDF for review.
> 2. Silently update handbook.
> 3. Something else.

Thanks for already doing the 2, that was the best option.

One more question: AFAICS, the translators generate the localized
index.docbook manually themselves from the translated docmessages, right?
Should I ping them to dump their work-in-progress there before creating Amarok
2.8 tarballs (ETA: tonight in European time zone)?

Cheers,
	Matěj