Amarok and system suspend behaviour

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Thu Apr 4 12:45:45 UTC 2013

On 4. 4. 2013 Edward Toroshchin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 01:16:02AM +0200, Matěj Laitl wrote:
> >  3. Even if user ticks (a), it is possible that system will end up
> >  sleeping in corner-cases. Should we pause on resume in this case? (no, I
> >  don't want to make the pause an extra checkbox)
>
> It's not corner-cases. I doubt anything can _really_ prevent the kernel
> from suspending, so the option is still valid.

That's right, however our intended audience won't be probably doing `echo mem
> /sys/power/state`, much more likely they'll be using Solid-aware means of
(automatically) suspending provided by their DE.

> I would personally, however, just have a single checkbox "prevent from
> going to sleep", and always pause on suspend, without a configuration
> option.

While I agree that we should have an option to pause playing on resume, I'd be
strongly against making it the default. The simple reason is that suspending
should be transparent to applications, i.e. the ultimate reason to suspend (as
opposed to poweroff) is IMO to preserve the desktop state.

Anmol, unless there are objections, please make it 2 checkboxes:
 * Prevent automatic system sleep when Amarok is playing
 * Pause playing when system goes to sleep

First defaulting to checked, second to unchecked. Also please test whether the
Sleep button works if the first checkbox is checked and Amarok is playing.

	Matěj