Amarok Testing (matej at laitl.cz)

Myriam Schweingruber myriam.schweingruber at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 18:20:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Matěj Laitl <matej at laitl.cz> wrote:
> On 28. 11. 2012 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>> Hi Matěj,

>> > What is a reason to do so? I must say I oppose such initiative, KDE Wiki
>> > is perfectly fine for such information IMO.
>>
>> I think you misunderstand the reason I make a spreadsheet:
>
> In fact, you gave no reason. :-)

Id did so in IRC, remember the #amarok.dev channel is where we talk
about working on Amarok?

>> this is in no way to replace the wiki, but to make a testing document
>> available to testers, who currently don't have any such thing. I don't
>> know how you test software, but usually one needs a document to submit
>> with the results, and it is a very useful checklist when working on
>> tests.
>
> I see then.
>
>> > Google Docs is not our infrastructure, plus a document there cannot be
>> > "owned" by a community, but by an individual, and this just adds to
>> > fragmentation of information about Amarok. Furthermore you need a Google
>> > account to edit it, someone perhaps just doesn't want that. This is
>> > against many sane principles like keeping everything in one authoritative
>> > source etc.
>>
>> The idea is to be able to help me make the spreadsheet, it will then
>> be saved in an open format and be available for downloads for testers.
>> Again, this is not a replacement for the wiki, but I don't know how
>> often you have made tables in a wiki: it is a hell of a PITA to do so
>> and I simply am not ready to invest my time in making tables in wikis
>> when a spreadsheet is the perfect way to do so
>
> Hmm, I see. But what will be the *authoritative* source of information
> currently available in [1]? I would certainly refuse to edit it in 2 places.
> In fact, I would refuse any violation of the DRY principle [2] (DO read it!).
>
> [1] http://amarok.community.kde.org/Development/Testing
> [2] http://www.artima.com/intv/dry.html

The wiki, of course, and don't worry, once we have a spreadsheet I
will happily volunteer to keep it updated. But the sad truth is that
the Testing thing in the wiki ias a very ugly draft I put together
some time ago, none of the developers so far thought to give a hand on
it, and who else than the developers are the ones who know what should
be tested... the iPod section for example still talks about Winter
2011, go figure. I just can't maintain everything in the wiki, a
minimum of help from the other team members is needed.

>> > Ideal state IMO is that all developer and user information is just in the
>> > source repository and KDE Wikis. (which we were close to)
>>
>> The final version of the spreadsheet is Open DOcument format can then
>> be added to the source, but right now it needs to be made and I would
>> really welcome some help...
>
> ODS is a horrible thing to put under git. If a spreadsheet is really
> advantageous over list-like [1], I think it should be done in the wiki. Or
> added to Amarok source in some diff-able form, e.g. [3]. I will then create a
> script to export it to a spreadsheet for you. :-)
>
> [3] http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickref.html#tables

Sorry, no, I am NOT volunteering to make that tables in the wiki, it
is a giant PITA to make it in the wiki and I already have enough work.
Spreadsheet is much faster and easier, and I don't see how an ODS
document can not be put in git for reference. If you don't like it,
please suggest something better that doesn't make the workload o
triple.

>> if you were on IRC you would know what I am doing right now and why...
>
> Sorry, I cannot be on IRC all the time. Its interactivity hurts my
> productivity during the day.

You can just not look at it if you need to work, remember one can
minimize windows on the screen :) But at least you would not miss half
of the discussions going on and people could at least reach you if
they need to, like Edward has been looking for you several times today
already.

Regards, Myriam.

PS. I have Konversation open and use the ZNC bouncer so at least I
have the logs, but I don't have to look at it all the time and can
work without it being disturbing.
http://www.fsfe.org