Amarok Testing (matej at laitl.cz)

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Wed Nov 28 18:08:08 UTC 2012

On 28. 11. 2012 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi Matěj,
>
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Matěj Laitl <matej at laitl.cz> wrote:
> > On 28. 11. 2012 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> >> I transferred the current Amarok tests to a spreadsheet from
> >> http://community.kde.org/Amarok/Development/Testing. It is still WIP,
> >> please feel free to add or remove tests that you see fit.
> >
> > What is a reason to do so? I must say I oppose such initiative, KDE Wiki
> > is perfectly fine for such information IMO.
>
> I think you misunderstand the reason I make a spreadsheet:

In fact, you gave no reason. :-)

> this is in no way to replace the wiki, but to make a testing document
> available to testers, who currently don't have any such thing. I don't
> know how you test software, but usually one needs a document to submit
> with the results, and it is a very useful checklist when working on
> tests.

I see then.

> > Google Docs is not our infrastructure, plus a document there cannot be
> > "owned" by a community, but by an individual, and this just adds to
> > fragmentation of information about Amarok. Furthermore you need a Google
> > account to edit it, someone perhaps just doesn't want that. This is
> > against many sane principles like keeping everything in one authoritative
> > source etc.
>
> The idea is to be able to help me make the spreadsheet, it will then
> be saved in an open format and be available for downloads for testers.
> Again, this is not a replacement for the wiki, but I don't know how
> often you have made tables in a wiki: it is a hell of a PITA to do so
> and I simply am not ready to invest my time in making tables in wikis
> when a spreadsheet is the perfect way to do so

Hmm, I see. But what will be the *authoritative* source of information
currently available in [1]? I would certainly refuse to edit it in 2 places.
In fact, I would refuse any violation of the DRY principle [2] (DO read it!).

[1] http://amarok.community.kde.org/Development/Testing
[2] http://www.artima.com/intv/dry.html

> > Ideal state IMO is that all developer and user information is just in the
> > source repository and KDE Wikis. (which we were close to)
>
> The final version of the spreadsheet is Open DOcument format can then
> be added to the source, but right now it needs to be made and I would
> really welcome some help...

ODS is a horrible thing to put under git. If a spreadsheet is really
advantageous over list-like [1], I think it should be done in the wiki. Or
added to Amarok source in some diff-able form, e.g. [3]. I will then create a
script to export it to a spreadsheet for you. :-)

[3] http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickref.html#tables

> if you were on IRC you would know what I am doing right now and why...

Sorry, I cannot be on IRC all the time. Its interactivity hurts my
productivity during the day.

	Matěj