Nepomuk Collection

Phalgun Guduthur phalgun.guduthur at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 15:01:49 UTC 2012

Hello all

After a period of inactivity, I want to continue working on the Nepomuk
plugin for Amarok and implement a few more features before it is shipped.

These are the major problems of the plugin currently -

   - The collection takes some time to load  (10s for 2000 tracks). This is
   because of the use of MemoryCollection.
   To write my own QueryMaker, I need considerable amout of time as I'm
   completely clueless about it. Any help on how to go about this would be
   great.
   Stecchino once mentioned to have a look at UPnP collections
   implementation.

   - After a restart of Amarok, the tracks in the playlist view get fetched
   from the Local Collection instead of Nepomuk collection. This is because
   the Nepomuk collection slow loading of tracks.

   Is there a way to delay the fetching of meta data for tracks in the
   playlist view until the Nepomuk collection is fully loaded?
   The function Playlist::Model::metadataChanged(Meta::TrackPtr) must be
   delayed.

   - Implementing Nepomuk::ResourceWatcher, so that tracks when changed by
   other applications are reflected immediately in Amarok. This includes
   addition of new tracks, deletion, change in metadata etc.
   But this needs the code to be ported to Nepomuk2 ( The newer, sleeker
   API of Nepomuk ). I'm finding it tough to get Nepomuk2 work on my machine.

   - Write back support - let the user edit meta data of his tracks through
   Amarok. Right now the edit fields are all grayed out.

   - Support for creating playlists

   - Support for storing scores of tracks - needs ontology support which is
   a whole different thing.

I write this seeking any sort of feedback on the above problems either on
how to tackle them or their importance.

What do you think is the most important feature that should be implemented
before the plugin is shipped?

Cheers!
Phalgun