GSoC project report: Integrate Spotify into Amarok

Teo Mrnjavac teo at kde.org
Mon May 21 08:23:22 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Ryan Feng <odayfans at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> My name is Zhengliang Feng, I'm from China, and currently studying in the
> US. This is my first report of the Google Summer of Code project 'Integrate
> Spotify into Amarok'[1].  My mentor is Bart Cerneels.
>
> The main goal of my project is to integrate Spotify service into Amarok as a
> plugin, so users can login, access to their playlist, and stream tracks on
> Spotify in Amarok. The additional goal is make Spotify radio service usable
> in Amarok.
>
> Currently I'm trying to get Amarok running on Mac OS X, just to get familiar
> with the codebase, but unfortunately some dependencies in Macports are too
> old and there is much work to do with KDE and Qt port on OS X.
>
> Since the coding period has already started, so I would write some demo code
> with libspotify[2] and Qt next week.
>
> [1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/ofan/1
> [2] https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/libspotify/

Hello and welcome again :)

It's awesome that you've tried building on Mac OS X, we haven't had a
packager in ages. If it proves to be too hard though I advise you to
just use a Linux in dual boot or VM so you can get started with coding
as soon as possible ;) Looking forward to your first contributions!

Cheers,
--
Teo