Participating in the GSoC

Teo Mrnjavac teo at kde.org
Sat Mar 31 10:47:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 22:16, Xavier Claude <claude.xavier at gmail.com> wrote:
>        Hello,
>
>    I'm interesting in joining the Google summer of code. I hope it's not too
> late. I'm using KDE for more than 5 years and I'm a member of the French
> translation team, that's why I choose KDE as the GSoc organization. I'm a
> student in computer science in Belgium, I'm in the third and the final academic
> year of my study.
>
>    I've read the ideas page and I've found the nepomuk backend for Amarok. As
> I'm currently doing an internship about semantic data for some countries
> budget, I already know RDF and Sparql. And I've also written some Qt
> applications for my course.
>
>    Cordially,

Hello,

thanks for contacting us. It is very good that you already have
experience with RDF and SPARQL. I suggest that you start by building
Amarok from git and taking a look at the collection code to get an
idea of the result you'd need to achieve. What we need is a collection
backend that could replace the current SQL collection (if needed)
without feature regressions, but you should plan on both backends
being available rather than one being a drop-in replacement of the
other. Please see this article [1] for some guidelines on how to
structure a GSoC proposal for Amarok. When you prepare a first draft,
please submit it for review on this mailing list.

[1] http://teom.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/how-to-write-a-kick-ass-proposal-for-google-summer-of-code/

Cheers,
--
Teo