GSoC: Extending "Remove duplicates" in Amarok

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Tue Mar 20 08:31:54 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 20:27, sunil kumar <skstronghold at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Amarok have an option in "Playlist->Remove duplicates" to remove songs which
> are binary identical. I would like to extend this feature so that it not
> only remove binary identical songs but also uses fuzzy comparison to find
> identical songs having different tags or formats, as my GSoC 2012 project.
> This tool would present user with a choice to remove those songs which are
> similar but have different format/tags/encoding or have slight variation in
> time. It would also show that by how much amount two songs are similar. This
> tool can help us when we have collected our songs from different people.
>
> --

My first thought is that this would not qualify as a GSoC project
because of it's workload. Remember that GSoC is 15 weeks full time,
even a bit longer. As a season of KDE task it's possible, along with
some more cleanup.
If you want to implement this for yourself and send us a patch on
reviewboard.kde.org, we will certainly take note of that if you apply
for another GSoC or Season of KDE project.

If you want help with this feature, ask on #amarok @freenode.irc.org

Bart