2.6 release and release candidate considerations

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Thu Jul 19 07:53:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Matěj Laitl <matej at laitl.cz> wrote:
> Hi list, Ralf & Bart,
> after I've returned from a couple of days of off-line time, I've found out that
> Bart wants release a RC before releasing 2.6 - something I strongly support
> given the severity of some post-beta changes.
>
> However, IMO this is a great opportunity for us to release a RC with even more
> somehow invasive changes that fix release blockers and are currently sitting on
> the review board, namely:
>  * https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/105488/ (fixes bug 298275, waits for re-
> ack by Ralf)
>  * https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/105610/ (fixes bug 299890, waits for ack
> by Bart as he seems to understand EngineController)

Have not gotten around to it but will attempt before 21:00 this
evening. No one understands EngineController though ;).

> Bart, have you already made the 2.6 RC package? If not, would you bother to
> retag the RC when above fixes are pushed to master? I can merge them as soon as
> they're acked.

I've made the package but had build problems because of KDE
translations (again!). There is a v2.5.95 tag in the repo on KDE
already. But we can always add a new tag.

> Optionally, I think we can be even more daring and merge test-fixing one to 2.6
> RC, too:
>  * https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/105524/ (fixes testm3uplaylist, waits for
> Ralf's or Bart's reply)

Tests should not block a 2.6 release. I think our tests will be
problematic at least until we do a proper architecture review.