clamz as Amazon downloader in Amarok

Sven Krohlas sven at asbest-online.de
Tue Jan 3 08:13:30 UTC 2012

Hi,

Benjamin Moody wrote:
>> Hi Benjamin, But one quite important piece of the puzzle is still missing: An integrated
>> downloader for the MP3s. As clamz already seems to handle the job quite well I consider using
>> clamz as a backend for .amz downloading.
>
> I'm not sure how this would work.  You'd still need to start a web browser in order for the
> user to complete the purchase, wouldn't you?

Sadly yes, but we want to move as much as possible of the whole process
into Amarok.

The idea is the following: We associate .amz files with Amarok. So once
the user clicks onto one Amarok shows up, asks the user where to put the
downloads and starts downloading using clamz in the background.

> Or is there an API that you could use to complete the purchase within Amarok?

Afaik no. :/
In the end that is going to be the only step we have to invoke a web
browser for.

> Do you know if Amazon's "Cloud Player" service is available worldwide?

It's not (yet?) worldwide available.
I heard of users who already bought mp3s with Amarok and moved them to
their Amazon cloud storage, though. :)

>> Have you (or your users) tested clamz on other platforms than *nix? Like Windows and Mac?
>> Does it work there?
>
> I haven't tried it.  I don't see any reason it shouldn't work on OS X. On Windows, there might
> be some issues with binary vs. text files, and with files larger than 2 GB (which probably
> isn't an issue for the time being, but it's at least worth thinking about.)
>
>> If it does I tend to make it an Amarok dependency and create a GUI in Amarok for handling
>> .amz files.
>
> Well, good luck, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Great. :)
If any problems show up I'm going to tell you.
- --
Darkerradio Free Music Charts November 2011:
http://www.darkerradio.com/news/free-music-charts-november-2011/
Klarmachen zum Ändern! -> http://www.piratenpartei.de/