vision creation - next step - first draft

Andy Coder andrew.coder at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 14:45:06 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 20:42, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
>> Looks good to me.
>>
>> One thing that I noticed while reading: It should be either "at any
>> time", or "anytime". While "any time" is grammatically correct too, my
>> impression is that this form isn't used much any more in contemporary
>> English.
>>
>> Reference:
>> "anytime, adv., = at any time; whenever. Some writers consider this
>> term a CASUALISM, but it is highly convenient and has -- for whatever
>> reason -- gained more widespread acceptance than anymore (in positive
>> contexts) and anyplace. Garner's Modern American Usage"
>
> Good catch. What do the native speakers say about this?

I would use 'anytime', in this context, as it refers to some point in
time which is unspecified, (i.e. an 'anytime'), and because it's far
more common, in my experience.  The ' ' generally occurs when the
domain 'time' refers to is restricted, (e.g. "Any time after 9AM works
for me."), though 'anytime' may still be used, (and is at least fairly
common), in such contexts.  "Any time" also has its clear place in
situations where 'any' is used to indicate an indeterminate amount of
time, (e.g. "Do you have any time later?" or "I don't have any time.")

One thing I should probably mention is that a short chain of
references from [0] lies a claim that 'anytime' is any "Americanism",
(though this is from 1993), so this may well be one of those bits of
"proper English" which my life in Ohio, USA may not have prepared me
to comment on, (according to certain parties).

 - Andy Coder

[0] - http://www.datsplat.com/grammar-any-time-versus-anytime-one-word-or-two-words/