New Dynamic Playlist

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 21:17:35 CEST 2011

Sorry for my imprecision.

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Ralf Engels <ralf-engels at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Myriam, Valorie
>
> I am wondering.
>
> Which of the many improvements suck?
>
> - The example biases which demonstrate to a novice user some of the
> features and are instantly usable?
>
> - The removal/merging of the three bias categories into one short list?
>
> - The simplification into a tree-widget that supports drag and drop and
> all the other stuff that users are already familiar with
>
> - The new "search" bias that allows to easily convert a search into a
> bias

When confronted by the new interface, I see:
Random
Rock and Pop
Album play
Rating

Granted, Random does play random, once I figured out how to get the
playlist created. That was fun.
I could never figure out how to get Rock and Pop to populate the playlist.
Album play gave similar results to Random - random tracks. No albums.
I played with Rating a bit, using mostly the >4 rating. A very few
tracks were 4 or more stars; the rest unrated.

> - Or some of the other smaller improvements or bug fixes?
>
> Anyway, as long as no-one could lay a finger on a concrete usability
> issue I will just continue bathing in the soft and sensual pink light of
> a job well done.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

You might ask a friend or aquaintance who's never used it before, to
populate a playlist, and watch them do so. I've been using Amarok for
a long time, and usually adapt pretty easily, with APG being the
exception. I still can't really use that, unfortunately.

I think the old Dynamic Playlist needed fixing, for sure. And while
I'm sure that there IS a way to use your new UI and get expected
results -- I haven't been able to discover how.

Hoping not to disturb your pleasant-sounding bath,

Valorie

--
http://linuxgrandma.blogspot.com
Last.fm, Facebook, Twitter, Identica, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez