Review Request: New dynamic bias

Peter C. Ndikuwera pndiku at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 21:46:45 CET 2011

"Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length"
-- Robert Frost

On 22 February 2011 22:42, Ralf Engels <ralf-engels at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Di, 2011-02-22 at 00:32 +0300, Peter C. Ndikuwera wrote:
> > The reason I tried this branch is because I really really want dynamic
> > playlists that work. And that I can come back to in 3 months and still
> > understand what they do!
> > I can't really answer the "dumb it down" question. What I wonder is
> > what scenarios does the current approach fulfil that the simple
> > interface (not necessarily functionality) of 1.4 couldn't? That would
> > help me give more constructive input on the dynamicplaylist branch.
> > For example, I want a playlist with songs before 2000 that are longer
> > than 2 minutes in length. I could do this with four or five clicks in
> > 1.4. Maybe I'm dumb, but I've failed to do that with either approach
> > to dynamic playlists.
> > Thanks.
> > P.
> >

> Hi Peter,
> what you have described are queries that you can do from the collection
> search bar.
> So you have AND, OR, NOT and meta queries.
>
> I want a playlist that is half filled with songs....
> Actually we already have the problem here. How can you say: half and
> half in the search bar?
>
> Also conditions that do not rely on a meta tag (e.g. a song is in the
> echo nest similar artist list) or are position dependent (e.g. the next
> track from a different artist. Or from a similar one) fall flat.
>
> Peter, did you try out the branch?
> Please do, and play a little bit around.
>
> Thanks,
> Ralf

HI Ralf,

Thanks for the response.

I did try out the branch and it confused me, although I'll give it another
go and post more detailed comments. As you say, the search bar can do some
of the more simplistic queries, but that's the point. I want to save some
simple queries and load them up when I want. (At the moment, I have more
luck doing that with the APG than with dynamic playlists).

Perhaps, as someone noted above, the issue is to create an interface that
can do the simple, basic things as well as the more complicated. Is it good
interface design to have "Simple" and "Advanced" options? VLC does this
horribly (in terms of looks) in its settings dialog, although it works!

Peter