Review Request: New dynamic bias

Ralf Engels ralf-engels at gmx.de
Mon Feb 21 21:32:34 CET 2011

--snip--

> All songs must be:
> (
>     30% rating greater than 3 stars
>     30% rating greater than 4 stars
>     60% playcount equals 0
>   )
>   and
>   Unique
>   and
>   Not: genre equals audiobook
> )
>
> and it still doesn't make sense....

Ok. There was a Typo. It should sum up to 100%.

> to 100%. Because my understanding would be that 30% of my songs should
> be
> above 3 stars, 30% above 4 starts and *40%* never played before
> (playcount=0)

Yes. That is right

> With this:
>   Not:
>   (
>     60% a random song
>     40% artist name equals balmoreha
>   )
>
> again, I don't understand what the "Not:" does to that whole query...

That was a playlist clicked together by lfranchi. It really doesn't make
any sense.

> Thirdly, I'm sure there's a reason why the 1.4 UI was rejected, but is
> there
> anything that that UI couldn't do? It was simple, but created very
> specific,
> predictable playlists. I've tried this branch, and I got completely
> confused! :-)

Ok. I understand. Dumb it down.
Since most people seem to be satisfied with a playlist that selects
songs from a number of artists and/or genres and doesn't repeat songs.

So a dynamic playlist generated from a search string should be what most
people want here. Just type "U2 OR Gorillaz"

Then one last point to think about:
There were people (maybe not the target audience for Amarok) who used
dynamic playlists and felt a need to improve them to the current state
which is (let's not fool ourselves) quite complex.
1.4 functionality obviously was not good enough.

We currently have three main bias groups and the custom bias even has
sub-biases with the functionality to dynamically load more. All in all 5
different biases.

Not only that. We have an open wish entry for a scripting interface.
Somebody feels that the current dynamic playlists are not powerful
enough

And then we have the automatic playlist generator which in principle has
the same functionality and a little bit different UI but still a similar
amount of filters.

So, dumb it down?