Hi: Regarding VSXu Applet

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Sun Feb 20 22:56:10 CET 2011

2011/2/20 Daniel Dewald <Daniel.Dewald at time-shift.de>:
> Hi,
>
> Take my good advice and don't put any more work into this. Phonon's Audio Data
> Output is not working in 90% of all phonon Backends and from what I've heard
> so far will not be working in any future. I've already designed and
> implemented a working OpenGL Amarok applet and realized a spectrum analyzer
> with it. After that I was waiting for the backends to finally get the Data
> Output working and stabilized.. they won't. I tried begging and complaining
> and even tried to force the issue.. nobody is interested in this kind of work.

I'm sorry, but I have the impression that Daniel is exaggerating a lot
here. Also, many things have changed, after Daniel gave up on the
thing.

Phonon is now being maintained very well by competent people like
Sandsmark, Apachelogger, and j-b from VLC, and if you talk to them,
any issue could be solved, I'm confident of that. Daniel gave it a
try, and maybe it was the wrong time, or he just gave up too quickly,
but this should not de-motivate you in any way. His failure does in no
way imply that you will fail as well.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer, Senior Software Engineer at Nokia