Hi: Regarding VSXu Applet

Daniel Dewald Daniel.Dewald at time-shift.de
Sun Feb 20 22:41:08 CET 2011

Hi,

Take my good advice and don't put any more work into this. Phonon's Audio Data
Output is not working in 90% of all phonon Backends and from what I've heard
so far will not be working in any future. I've already designed and
implemented a working OpenGL Amarok applet and realized a spectrum analyzer
with it. After that I was waiting for the backends to finally get the Data
Output working and stabilized.. they won't. I tried begging and complaining
and even tried to force the issue.. nobody is interested in this kind of work.
Without the phonon audio data output all the work becomes meaningless. You
should have talked with the vsxu maintainer (or the Amarok devs) and he
would've told you. Also vsxu is currently not yet in a state where it is
likely to be put into any distribution. As long as its not distributed
properly an vsxu applet is not likely to be placed into the official Amarok
trunk (This however is a problem that could be solved in a small time window).
Sorry to kill the dreams but I've already put a tremendous amount of work into
this and all for nothing. If you want to display any other (non audio data
related) OpenGL stuff just give me a call. My applet might need some over-howl
but was working the last time I tried it. However it uses quite some hacks
because the Amarok context area does not support OpenGL pre se (because its
not an opengl applet area).

Greetz

Daniel