Fingerprinting ... was Re: Thanks for MusicBrainz patch

Daniel Dewald Daniel.Dewald at time-shift.de
Tue Oct 5 16:37:59 CEST 2010

> What is the main goal of storing track fingerprints in DB? As I think,
> is to prevent duplicates in collection. But one track compressed with
> different coders and with different settings gives different
> fingerprints, that's why this fingerprint needes to be processed by
> musicdns service to return PUID, and MB base also contains several
> PUIDs for a single track. So It works not so smooth. More then that,
> I'm not sure that It's a great idea to store so huge (~750 bytes from
> 135sec sample of track by libofa) chunk of data as fingerprint In user
> DB.

I see that we dont understand one another. By "storing the fingerprint in the
database" I of course meant to store some id (like the mbid with musicbrainz
and the fingerprint id with last.fm) in the Database that would make it
possible to identify a specific song. I don't know how the fingerprinting with
musicbrainz works, but with last.fm you always get the same fingerprint id
from the same song. No matter how (or with what) it was encoded or decoded.
What matters for the fingerprint is the sounddata (and even if parts from it
are missing because of lossfull encoding you should have the same fingerprint
id). What that you can search for duplicates, get specific information faster
(for the last.fm part at least) thats not stored in the database and I'm sure
some other cool stuff I'm not thinking about at the moment.

Greetz

Daniel