Bug statistics

Sven Krohlas sven at asbest-online.de
Sun May 2 12:53:38 CEST 2010

Hi Myriam,

> Well, a lot actually did respond... you might look again at your
> queries, they all show up in mine. And mine are all accessible to
> everybody, your release-blocker one isn't if people don't have enough
> karma on bugzilla...

If my queries disturb you: now they are all private.
Setting up queries in Bugzilla is everything but rocket science.

> Thank you for calling the Amarok bugzilla lists I left a mess, but it
> was well triaged as of March 16, except for the wishlist.Of course,
> despite numerous calls, nobody ever gave a hand to clean that up,
> except for Mark, Mikko and Dario Andres.

Please don't take every criticism about our Bugzilla as a personal
insult. I never said it is your fault. And as a matter of fact: it
isn't your fault. But nevertheless: it's a mess.

The reasons for that are deeper than just bug triaging manpower. We
don't have a bug oriented "culture" here. Other projects have simple
rules like "no checkin without bug report". Here Bugzilla is just
another tool. A tool that's not really bound into the development
process.

> But nice to see how much my work of 15 months was appreciated, it just
> confirms the reason I had to stop doing a work nobody in that project
> is even remotely grateful for it.  You might have missed the mess it
> was before I started working on it, as there were an average of 4000
> bugs, that's what I call a mess!

You stopped working for it? Really?
Everytime I say something about Bugzilla all I get from you is exactly
what you citisize: negative, poisonous feedback. At least that's my
impression:

Proposal for categories -> everything is bad
Bug statistics -> detailled bug statistics trying to show how bad the
current triaging team is working. Nice statistics for someone who stopped
working on it. Looks to me like that person simply wants to prove how bad
the current team is. But that's just an impression, I might be wrong.

Oh, about triaging and Bugzilla integration into the project, while we
are at it: the current approach is simply wrong!

Some single persons (atm usually me) sets keywords like release_blocker
or the target of bugs on a simple personal impression. Such bugs should
be nominated for that property and a real team should then decide the
target.

That's just another reason why our bugzilla is a mess: no one wants to
get dicatated by a single person what to work on. But that's the current
workflow.
--
Darkerradio Free Music Charts April 2010:
http://www.darkerradio.com/news/free-music-charts-april-2010/