Towards Amarok Mobile: Beginning separation

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Tue Mar 23 16:38:09 CET 2010

On 3/23/2010 11:17 AM, Bart Cerneels wrote:
> This brings up a delicate topic: how many of our internet services
> require SQL storage. Magnatune, Jamenda, Podcast Directory....
> If we want to use them on mobile we *have* to have SQL. Might be worth
> considering if inclusion of those services has a high priority

Well, or we be very clever with on-disk files. :-)

FWIW, SQLite is ACID. The only two draws for MySQL at all are server
support and speed. Speed in MySQL is partly because it's not ACID and
especially with the MyISAM we use not actually very safe. Of course
MariaDB is around, and will be ACID compliant and support
commit/rollback -- but it's basically a patched MySQL with all that that
brings along with it.

Server support is something else entirely. But here are a few links I'd
like you all to chew on:

https://launchpad.net/libdrizzle

http://planet.mysql.com/entry/?id=17507

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drizzle-developers/libdrizzle/trunk/annotate/head%3A/examples/sqlite_server.c