Towards Amarok Mobile: Beginning separation

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Tue Mar 23 16:17:02 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 16:05, Ian Monroe <ian.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Both Fremantle and Harmattan use Tracker. Tracker already has all the
>>> music info. I'm not sure libqttracker works for the Tracker thats in
>>> Fremantle though.
>>
>> I'm not actually sure what's in Tracker, though. Does it read all tags
>> from all formats?
>
> More or less yep. And its possible to extend (eg the ogg support
> package adds ogg support).

It's more nepomukish. Well, actually it's gnome-nepomuk really. So
much so even that a nepomuk inplementation and a tracker
implementation would share so much code it would be better to create
SemanticCollection that uses the ontologies and implement the
communication with tracker|nepomuk as a plugin.

>>> But I mean otherwise its a normal Debian system. Like Erik said most
>>> things end up on sqlite.
>>
>> Which means that if we want a DB we either have to get libmysqld over
>> there, or go back to a multi-DB system.
>
> I thought ampache was a memory collection? What do we need sql for?
>
> Ian

This brings up a delicate topic: how many of our internet services
require SQL storage. Magnatune, Jamenda, Podcast Directory....
If we want to use them on mobile we *have* to have SQL. Might be worth
considering if inclusion of those services has a high priority