Remote control feature on Amarok

Lukas 1lukas1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 16:11:19 CET 2010

It would be dam great to have fully featured remote control solution for
KDE.

One of the best phone i had was SE k700i because of its support of HID
(human interface device). SE also had provided a suite to creating your own
profiles, so i was able to control everything from presentation, mouse,
media player etc.

We have LIRC for IR connection, we have WebUI for Internet connections, i
guess there should be something for bluetooth too.

Why do I, as an end user, should "bother" about protocols and similar stuff?

Having chain like
[dbus | keyboard and mouse emulator] <-> KRemoteControlCenter <-> [Bluetooth
| IR | WiFi | internet] <-> [Iphone | UIQ | S60 | Android | etc]

Where communication would be standardized and any device could load xml
based profile and choose the best link (bt or wifi etc) to the desktop.

So any app could have remote control support just by creating simple xml
file. Not talking about pushing feedback to connected user Like "kget just
finished distro.x.y.iso.\n Hash check completed.\n Blank CD detected, would
you like to burn iso?" form anywhere anytime.

Hope you got my point :)