merge request: Automated Playlist Generator

Colin Kern colin.kern at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 06:10:51 CET 2010

Disclaimer: I am not an Amarok developer, just a user.

I would like to have this feature, but as you say the UI has a lot of
room for improvement.  The biggest thing that jumped out at me was
naming all the rules.  Why is that necessary?  Just displaying the
value and constraint is descriptive enough, I think.  Another issue I
have (and this is also an issue with dynamic playlists) is the
strictness value is not very clear.  If it's doing the same thing as
the fuzzy bias in dynamic playlists (controlling the standard
deviation) then referring to it as a percentage from 0 to 100 doesn't
really make much sense and it isn't clear to the user what it's doing.
 I'm not sure how hard this would be, but I think a good way to
present this would be to show a margin of error, so for example if
they were setting the duration of the track, the text of the slider
might say "+/- 0:30".  Of course, since the math involved here is a
normal distribution, you can't say that definitely, but maybe have
that number be the span of 2 standard deviations (95% confidence).

If I have some spare time, I will clone your repository and play
around with the feature some to see if I get any more ideas.

Colin