LikeBack in Amarok

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Mon Mar 15 13:45:37 CET 2010

Hi all,

I have already told my disapproval of this in IRC, and will not go
further on that. Time will show I was right.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:23, Téo Mrnjavac <teo.mrnjavac at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Almost every complaint about one feature or another was balanced by a
>> compliment for that exact feature. :-)  I'll be happy to answer some
>> of the questions which come through as I'm able.
>>
> Cool, thanks Valorie.
>
> I recognize that there are potential drawbacks and risks, mainly with
> fracturing the feedback gathering infrastructure that's already in
> place, but I believe that LikeBack gathers
> 1) a different kind of feedback than the existing channels,
> potentially large quantities of brief context-sensitive one-off
> comments that are not discussions, and should be considered as a
> statistic rather than real bug reports;

Well, AFAICS, the feedback is exactly the same as the one we already
get in bug reports and on the forum and IRC, and, if I judge from the
mail addresses, it's done by exactly the same people.
> 2) feedback from a different kind of audience than the existing
> channels, mainly those who are too unexperienced to do a proper
> wishlist entry but still run git or beta builds.

See above. If you expect feedback from a different audience, this
would need to be in final releases, not in betas or git code, since
the people who actually use the git version are experienced enough to
give feedback through the existing channels. And sorry, I fail to see
what is difficult in using a forum, I see feedback there from people
with close to no experience at all.

> So my opinion is that the benefits more than justify the risks.
> Those who are too lazy to do a proper bug report would do a crappy bug
> report anyway or none at all, so I don't believe bko has something to
> lose here.
>
> Also, it's simply a *nice* thing to do, any user would enjoy the
> feeling that he's being asked about his opinion, and I for one enjoy
> going through the messages, which so far are quite positive.
> From our users: "I like this feedback reporting feature :)" "I also
> like these buttons to give comments, nice work!!"

BTW, didn't you say you will orient the feature request to the
wishlist? As for feedback for statistical reasons: so far it doesn't
look godd, the dislikes are clearly outnumbering the likes, and the
feature request don't really belong there.

With 4 devs subscribed to LikeBack feedback and all of them doing
nothing at all so far (I can only see my comments, am I the only one
who really tried this out in depth?), this will not go very far...

Regards, Myriam.

PS. I think there are so many more important things that have to be
fixed in Amarok, our time could be invested much better. If you need
feedback, there is plenty of that in #amarok, the forum and bugzilla,
one just has to look at (and react upon, feedback without reaction is
pointless, even for statistical reason). Bugzilla can provide very
nice statistics too, BTW
http://www.fsfe.org