gsoc 2010 : Discussion of Project proposal "Integration of playdar with amarok"

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 17:10:21 CET 2010

> 1) By integrating playdar into Amarok, users will be allowed to explore and
> play tracks from any of the resolvers that playdar has made available.
> 2 ) amarok can create dynamic playlists that can pull tracks from mp3tunes,
> amazon full track previews, napster, soundcloud, local LAN computers, and
> more.
> 3)Imagine browsing the local network and seeing what tracks are seamlessly
> available for you to play and organize.
> 4) An implementation would both supply a collection backend, for browsing,
> and a context applet, for doing a simple search in the context view.
>
> Some programming might be needed from Playdar side also.
>
> I hope it clarifies the project goal ..

The thing is, Playdar currently does not provide any real
discoverability features. This means that you basically have to know
exactly what tract you want from Playdar and cannot query for a list
of tracks. So the ideas of making dynamic playlists or seamlessly
showing what tracks are available from Playdar will not work afaict.

- Nikolaj