Syncing UMS devices: A Proposal

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Jan 22 09:20:59 CET 2010

On 01/22/2010 02:01 AM, Maximilian Kossick wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 2:16 AM, Casey Link <unnamedrambler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here at Camp KDE Jeff and I have worked out a way to provide syncing
>> support for UMS devices. It's a somewhat complicated process (many use
>> cases) so we've written up a little design document outlining our
>> thoughts on how to provide this feature.
>>
>> Read the little intro of the document to understand what-the-hell I'm
>> talking about her and why we need to add this feature.
>>
>> Document: http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaFXNPFUj-7qZGZqbmNwOXdfMTBnZmYzanJjcQ&hl=en
>>

> It does not address the question of syncing non-SqlCollection
> collections (e.g. Ampache) to media devices, or SqlCollection to
> mp3tunes. Are you aware of this limitation?

The details (which are not completed) are relevant to the SqlCollection
only but this is easily solved -- urlIds are referenced, but the point
is really to reference unique identifiers, from whatever collection. We
can make it more abstract so that it handles those cases (for instance
by storing the actual IDs instead of the integer value of the ID in
another table, even though this will make it a bit larger/slower).

--Jeff