Syncing UMS devices: A Proposal

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Fri Jan 22 08:33:26 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 02:16, Casey Link <unnamedrambler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here at Camp KDE Jeff and I have worked out a way to provide syncing
> support for UMS devices. It's a somewhat complicated process (many use
> cases) so we've written up a little design document outlining our
> thoughts on how to provide this feature.
>
> Read the little intro of the document to understand what-the-hell I'm
> talking about her and why we need to add this feature.
>
> Document: http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaFXNPFUj-7qZGZqbmNwOXdfMTBnZmYzanJjcQ&hl=en
>
> Casey Link

Alejandro and I have considered the optional addition of an SQL
database to UMS as a way to improve both scanning speed of large
collection and extra features, like rating and score.

We planned to store this database on the UMS filesystem itself to make
it physically portable. Imagine the use case of moving between home
and work computer. We can use mysqle or resurrect sqlite, which I
think is better suited for this specific use.

Bart