Collection setup similar to digiKam.

Pierre Dumuid pmdumuid at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 08:57:50 CET 2010

Mark Kretschmann wrote:
>> In what way do you mean "network shares"?  I'm currently mounting (via
>> nfs / or samba) my entire music collection from a remote computer, and
>> I didn't think I was having any troubles!
>>

> Yes, but when they are mounted, they appear to Amarok just like any
> normal (local) filesystem. This works.
>
> But there is no need to distinguish between those, as mounted
> filesystems can be be just about anything (you can even mount GMail
> via FUSE, these days).

Well I think it might be nice to distinguish between them. Consider the
scenario:
On laptop, have directories: /local/location/music/
/network/mount/location/music/

If I select both of these in the tree, then I assume (correct me if I'm
wrong) that the following happens:

1. Mount /network/mount/location/music/  ; Start Amarok
 --> Collection populated with track info.
2. Close amarok; Unmount /network/mount/location (i.e. music
sub-directory no-longer visible) ;  Restarting amarok
--> It seems all the tracks that were on network drive are removed. (I
have "watch folder" set)
3. Close amarok  / Mount /network/mount/location/music/  ; Start Amarok
--> None of the tracks from network mount point are visible and I have
to wait a while whilst my collection is re-scanned to find that track again.
>> Unless, you are mean to say that taglibs doesn't work with access to
>> files via the smb:// or nfs:// url's?

Actually, you'll find digikam doesn't handle this either.
> PS: Please CC the mailing list too, not just myself.

Sorry, I thought the auto-reply.. (didn't look at the "To:" bit when I
clicked send).