Decision needed for "Move to Trash"

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Wed Jan 20 08:43:58 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 05:28, Casey Link <unnamedrambler at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The solution is to do as Bart and Nikolaj have suggested: Add a "Show
>>> in Collection/File Browser" action to the playlist context menu.
>>> Initiating this action will show the selected track in the file or
>>> collection browser, where *ALL* the collection/file management actions
>>> can be accessed not just Trash.
>>
>> That solution is all nice and dandy and might satisfy a lot of people.
>> The problem with it: It's not there!
>
> I tend to agree with Lydia here. There have been made some proposals
> (jumping to Collection Browser, File Browser, and whatnot), but all
> that is Vaporware (and I have my doubts if such "Jump from A to B"
> schemes really work well). And for those who like to praise the File
> Browser, they quickly forget that this browser is still missing some
> important features (PUD support, AppendAndPlay support), which is
> problematic in itself, as noone wants to work on that.

Missing PUD support doesn't really have much to do with the fact that
the functionality we're discussing should be logically placed in it's
correct place. If the PUD is missing, either it should be added or it
won't be, but that shouldn't be a reason for/against adding something
to the playlist menu that is in the file browser menu already.

> I'm currently counting 5 entries in the Playlist menu, after Louis had
> done the menu cleanup for 2.2.2 (he moved the Cover Image actions into
> an "Album" sub-menu). So I don't see any usability issues with
> overcrowding either.

You do realize what you're saying is contradictory, right? "X just
cleaned it up by making it shorter, that's good. Let's make it
longer."

> What I have issues with is that our menus are starting to become very
> inconsistent. E.g., Louis cleaned up the Cover Image actions in the
> Playlist context menu, but in the Collection it's still like it was
> before. IMHO we should make all of these consistent, and also use the
> same order for all entries.

This seems again to be more of a point for keeping this action out of
the playlist---we want to keep things consistent, and  part of being
consistent is putting stuff in places where they belong.

leo