[Amarok] Allow the title/by/on text font to be configured i

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Mon Jan 11 16:07:37 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Rick W. Chen <stuffcorpse at archlinux.us> wrote:
> Mon, 11 Jan, 2010 at 08:16:31 AM +0100, Mark Kretschmann:
>> Rick, I don't think it was a nice move of you to "smuggle this in" in
>> a huge flood of commits. It does appear a bit like you tried to make
>> it so that people won't notice :)
>>
>> Back story: Rick had made a "Merge Request" about this once, and after
>> a lengthy and complicated discussion we kinda concluded that we didn't
>> want it, and Rick wrote "Okay :( No hard feelings. Thanks for your
>> time." Now we see a "State changed from Rejected to Merged" there.
>> Here is this Merge Request:
>>
>> http://gitorious.org/amarok/amarok/merge_requests/1784
>>
>> It's not a biggie, and let's not make a big drama about it, but just
>> in general I would prefer if you ask us before making such changes.
>> This was a relatively small change, but it's good practice to ask this
>> mailing list first before changing things that had been decided on
>> before. Otherwise you risk a revert if someone disagrees. The real
>> problem is not the commit itself (it could be reverted, no big deal),
>> but about noticing the change, in the first place. I noticed it by
>> accident when I looked over some of the recent commits. This is also
>> where squashing comes into play, as it makes it easier to get an
>> overview.
>>
>> So anyway, you really did fantastic work over the last weeks, so
>> please don't see this as accusation or so. We're very happy about your
>> work. Just wanted to clarify some working style that we have
>> established, as you are new in the team :)
>>

>> PS: I still find this feature unnecessary and inconsistent, my opinion
>> about it hasn't changed.
>
> I didn't try to smuggle this in, though I guess it did look like that. I
> have discussed it with Leo on IRC during the last freeze, and he gave me
> permission to merge. I didn't do it straight away because of the freeze.
> I can dig up the chatlog if you want.

Rick and I had indeed talked about it. If you look at the commit, the
option is being added in the configuration interface of the applet
itself---which is very out of the way and unintrusive. For some
context, i'll quote part of the "philosophy" page of the dolphin
project (that we all know strives for a clean UI and a focus on
usability):

"Before a feature is added in Dolphin, it is checked whether the
feature is mandatory for the target user group. If this is not the
case, then this does not mean that the feature cannot be added; first
it must be clarified whether the feature might be non-intrusive, so
that it adds value for users outside the primary target user group of
Dolphin. Non-intrusive is mainly related to the user interface. A
feature that adds a lot of clutter to the main menu, context menus or
toolbar might harm the target user group. In this case the feature
will not be added."

this is the sort of feature that falls exactly into this trap. Users
who don't need to change the font won't even know the option exists,
and will never see it. Hard to get more unobtrusive than that.

leo