And here it cometh: Amarok Clone No. 6

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Wed Feb 24 12:27:16 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Martin Sandsmark
<sandsmark at samfundet.no> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23. February 2010 16.58.06 Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>> "The player is still in very much early stages, and the pending features
>> include
>> *Automatic addition of files from disk to music library"
>> Whoops, no collection scanner (yet).
>> What's interesting is that if there's no collection scanner there's
>> probably no sqlcollection, which means it's really just a radio-stream
>> and drag-to-the-playlist player right now (oh, you can't save or load
>> playlists, either). In other words, similar interface, 10% of the
>> functionality.
>
> I installed it (yay, `packer -S clementine`), and it does have a collection.
> What I guess they mean is detection of changes in the collection.
>
> It's pretty simplistic, though, missing some of the most-cited features
> missing from 1.4→2.0 (like the song info/lyrics/wikipedia tabs and no
> analyzers on other platforms that Linux, because they use Xine directly on
> Linux, while relying on Phonon on other platforms).

Out of curiosity I checked it out too. However, the package they have
didn't want to install (some conflicts), and the source didn't build
either (was missing some deps, then I gave up).

Anyway, I did take a glance at the code, and here's some things I noticed:

1) They do not seem to use any Amarok artwork, so that's fine.
2) They use QMake (urgs).
3) They imported some Oxygen icons.
4) The code is mostly their own, but missing any license headers, and
some files contain original Amarok code (intact license headers).

Sadly, this "Davids Sansome" guy actually seems to be a rather good
coder, so it's a bit of a waste. He wrote some advanced graphics
stuff, check his web site:

http://www.davidsansome.com/

Pity that he had the funny idea to start yet-another-clone, instead of
working with us. But oh well :)

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer, Software Engineer at Collabora Ltd