Playlist tooltips, yet again

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Thu Feb 18 19:30:56 CET 2010

Am Thursday 18 February 2010 schrieb Oleksandr Khayrullin:
> longer (so that it doesn't just incessantly pop up, it only appears if the
> user wants it to appear). I could be wrong, of course.
"wants it to appear" will fail. ask Leo :D

I didn't meant to detach the tip from the pointer, just to pick the "optimal"
direction.
Eg. tooltips adjust their position to the screen geometry (to stay in sight
they'll appear on the bottomleft or on top in doubt, order is br>bl>tr>tl )

> Excuse me, but I didn't really get it... you want to put the album cover in
> the background of the tooltip?
Yes.

> Wouldn't that make the tooltip a little harder to read?
Depends, you need to process* the image - that's why i asked for the
importance of a precise representation.

*"smart" desaturation + contrast reduction + white point adjustment - pretty
hard to achieve in html (to not say: impossible)

> Or we could just remove the cover from the tooltip altogether to make the
> tooltip smaller?
Humm... in the presented mock i'd place it in the top right corner and let the
text flow around (not too hard using html) but that matches this particular
mock....
I don't know how you'll implement this, but in cpp, you could check for the
string length and if one (commentary) is significantly longer than the others
put it to the bottom and the cover on the right, otherwise on the left.
Atached are  some sketches. (also notice the vertical alignment of the cover
depending on it's floating direction.)

> can be edited in the "Edit Track Details" window. Is there any other info
> that should be shown on it?
There's the statistical info (for tracks in a database) - see the first tab in
the edit track dialog.
Whether to show what: what's the usecase, i.e. the idea behind the tooltip?
That should define the required degree of detail.

Thomas